Re: help with procmail receipe...

2002-05-22 02:02:56
At 17:44 2002-05-20 -0700, Richie Lai did say:
What I am trying to do is prepend the body with some text and then email it to myself& Unfortunately I can t seem to get the modified message sent to me& heres the current rules I have

Your rules aren't SENDING anything.  They're filing it into a file.

:0 BHf
* $ ^$trash_header
| formail -b -f -I"From: JUNKMAIL-$EXT-$HOST(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com"

If the match condition is truely a HEADER, you don't want the B flag, and if you don't need the B flag, you don't need to specify the H flag because it is the default in the absense of the B flag. With formail -b is unnecessary if you just process the header. You might rather use -i instead of -I (see 'man formail').

:0 BHfb

* $ ^$trash_header

If this is a continuation of the first recipe, just brace them together, or use the A flag (no BH, or condition).

| cat - ; \

echo "---- Spam mail : Please filter this email address to sort into a JUNK folder ---"

Stuffing the message at the bottom doesn't seem intuitive. Of course, you realize that if the message is MIME, that the reader might not even SEE this text?

:0 H
* $ ^$trash_header

Again, as a continuation, you don't need the condition.

$SPAMFOLDER

If you're going to write to a folder, you should use the LOCKING flag ':' at the end of the flags line. If you want the message forwarded to another address, or deposited into the default mailspool, you'll need to explain what it is you want to do.

What am I doing wrong? & Any help appreciated& I am not on this ML so a little r would be great&.

That sort of depends on what you're trying to do and what is actually happening. Also, what the $trash_header and other variables are set to.

Have you tried setting VERBOSE=ON and running the filters? Have you considered running the filters in a sandbox (see my .sig)?

:0f
* $ ^$trash_header
{
        # Do header tweakage.
        :0fh
        | formail -f -I"From: JUNKMAIL-$EXT-$HOST(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com"

        # PREPEND the message (MIME be damned!).  Parens are significant.
        :0fb
| ( echo "---- Spam mail : Please filter this email address to sort into a JUNK folder ---" ; cat - )

        # Choose one of the following, comment out or delete the others.

        # Drop the message into the default delivery (your mailbox).
        :0:
        $DEFAULT

        # File the message in a file.
        :0:
        $SPAMFOLDER

        # Forward this to someone who cares.
        # Note that this isn't loop protected - if a bounce to *THIS* account
        # would arrive in this rule, you'll be sending it along to the remote
        # address, which would bounce again, ad nauseum.
        :0
        ! my-other-address