Re:Spaces in the subject line.

2002-06-02 08:45:37
At 8:23 AM -0400 6/2/02, Alan Clifford is rumored to have typed:

No, I put that in.  Isn't it normal to reply to the list?  I can take it
out if it isn't the convention in this list.

   It is, to my knowledge, unheard of for a USER to munge a reply-to pointing
back to a mailing list. Some listmasters seem to think it's a good thing to
make this munge (I find it silly, and remove it from those lists who have
listmasters wrong-headedly choosing to add it), but I've never run across a
USER who decides his replies should go to the list, even when they are better
served in private email.

   Considering your confirmation requirements, I understand _why_ you chose
to do it, I just think it's annoying. This message, for example, would best
be served in private email and is a _complete_ waste of the other
listmember's time - it has nothing to do with procmail, any more than does
the message of yours to which I reply which should ALSO have been sent in
private email. You sent what should have been sent privately to me to the
entire list...I do the same only to save myself having to "opt-in" to sending
you private email, since I won't need to be whitelisted on your machine in
the future.

   I think it's just easier all around not to respond to you again, since I
cannot do it privately with either a reply nor a reply-to-all, and even if I
_could,_ I'd need to ask pretty-please for permission to help you.

   Perhaps the next time you ask for help, you might consider making it
EASIER for listmembers to respond to you, instead of more difficult. I'm
hardly a procmail guru, but you have lost what little advice I could give.

         Charlie (who has added a...different type of procmail filter to
                   the list)