Re: Procmail Can't Create Logfile

2002-06-07 01:41:52
At 01:03 2002-06-07 -0400, Derek Battams did say:
I just installed procmail 3.15.2 from the source tar file.  I then setup
postfix to use procmail as the LDA.  Everything seemed fine except that I
can't create a log file.

Are you positive that the procmail binary which is suit root is the binary that is actually being invoked, and that there isn't a different binary sitting in some other directory (say, because the distro you're using chooses to put things elsewhere)? /usr/bin vs. /usr/local/bin or somesuch?

Don't laugh.  Check it.

What _exactly_ is your LDA configuration in postfix (the procmail arguments). Postfix may not be passing a -d argument and instead be invoking it _as_ the user (that shouln't necessarily cause this sort of problem, but it'd be useful to know). IIRC, Postfix does invoke the LDA _as_ the user, so if the actual invoked binary isn't suid, you'd be getting _exactly_ what you're experiencing now.

As a first test, this is my /etc/procmailrc file:

LOGFILE=/etc/procmail.log
COMSAT=no

It shouldn't really matter here, but who _owns_ /etc/procmailrc, and what are the perms on it? It is actually possible to have an /etc/procmailrc which is owned non-root, and procmail will still assume root when executing it (yes, it's definatley something to watch for - but then, non-root users shouldn't have write perms to /etc/, should they ?).

When you track this one down, I'd like to know - it'd be a useful test to add to procdiag (actually, so would the LDA check for postfix).