Re: Procmail Can't Create Logfile

2002-06-07 07:42:03
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:21:07AM -0500, Philip Guenther wrote:
Derek Battams <derek(_at_)battams(_dot_)ca> writes:
I've now even rebuilt an RPM from my distro's (Trustix Secure Linux)
source RPM of v3.15.2 and I get the same results, yet on my production
system the suid procmail binary works as expected.  The only thing I

After reading this post, it might seem like I've tried the same thing on my
production system and it's working - this is not the case.  I have not
touched my production system (seems obvious I'm sure, but the way I wrote
the original post makes it sound like I did change my production system).

Some distributions, in the past, have configured procmail to look for
the global procmailrc in other locations.  It's unlikely to be the problem
here, but what's the output of
      strings /usr/bin/procmail | grep procmailrc

That should normally output
      /etc/procmailrc
      $HOME/.procmailrc
      /etc/procmailrcs/

but it's something to check.

Procmail is trying to create the log in /etc/ but it produces an error
saying "Error writing to /etc/procmail.log".  The reason is that it is
trying to write the file as the recipient rather than root (even though
the procmail binary is suid root).  If I change the location of the
logfile to a place where regular users can write (/tmp) then it creates
the logfile fine, but again it creates it as owned by the recipient not
root.  So to answer your question, yes procmail is looking for the
global procmailrc file in /etc/.

{10:36am} [derek(_at_)penguin] (bin)>strings procmail|grep procmailrc
/etc/procmailrc
$HOME/.procmailrc
/etc/procmailrcs/
procmailrc