Re: transferring mail to a subnet

2002-06-07 16:20:22
At 16:47 2002-06-07 -0500, Garys did say:

Wan(internet) > LAN of pc.com starts with major.pc.com (which handles
DNS, MX of FQDN and has internal subnet using hosts of 192.168.0.1-255)

Ah, so the hosts are on a non-routed net. This is significant (yea, I realize you specified 192.168.x in the hosts example, but since you used "pc.com" as the domain (which, since that belongs to Intel Corp, I kind of doubt you're really using it), I took it all to be one big "for example", versus literal).

I dunno what the postfix feature is, but in Sendmail terms, you might want to check out the "SMART_HOST" feature (amongst your hosts), and "LUSER_RELAY" (as in Local USER, not Looser <g>). For Sendmail, you'd also refer to cf/README for loads of information on host relaying. Also see <http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html>. For postfix, you'll need to find an appopriate postfix forum or guru.

Hit deja with:
        "sendmail host mail relay server gateway 192.168"

(using 'postfix' results in not a lot of useful anything, but perhaps the sendmail references will direct you to similar features in postfix)

Some other puters on the LAN are 192.168.0.10  minor.pc.com
                                 192.168.0.15  middle.pc.com

Mail comes in directly from the MX records on major.pc.com.  I have
aliases in postfix set up to catch all mail (for the monent) of the FQDN
"pc.com" to send to gary(_at_)pc(_dot_)com, which is my $HOME and procmail
sends it
there through my local rc file.

Use a virtusertable type of feature (or better, user_db, if postfix has it), to redirect received email to a different local host. Again, this is an MTA issue, not procmail, which makes a miserable MTA. A benefit to getting the hosts properly handled in a relay is that it won't matter how many users you have on the different hosts, the mail will just relay to them for disposition.

I would suggest that you do want serious DNSBL and anti-relaying configs on your exposed MX, since you'll otherwise be accepting junkmail and then routing it within your network...

from their box to major.pc.com and out to the world.  However, I thought
I could use procmail to forward their mail to their machines, (hosthame)
minor and middle.

That'll be icky.

Crude diagram would be WAN sends mail to mark(_at_)minor(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com So,
I want it
to  WAN > major.pc.com > mark(_at_)minor(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com

WAN (SMTP) -> major.pc.com -> MTA virtusertable or user_db -> user(_at_)otherhost(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com

At issue would be how to construct the DNS MX records so that mail properly shows up at your gateway, but that the gateway will still deliver it to the actual inhouse host. /etc/hosts takes precedence over DNS, but has no support for MX records -- however, so long as the mail arrives at the gateway box, and then you use the mailertable feature (in Sendmail, figure out the equivalent postfix feature), you can relay mail internally to the other hosts:

[mailertable]
minor.domain.tld        esmtp:minor.domain.tld
other.domain.tld        esmtp:other.domain.tld

I was thinking that procmail on major.pc.com could ! or pipe to mark on
his machine at minor.pc.com

Refer to 'man procmail' where it states the mantra that procmail is not an MTA. You'll eventually run into issues with attempting to route mail using it as a makeshift MTA, and you'll tear your hair out (if you have any) after you've become reliant on using it as one when it shouldn't have been. If you're up to setting up unique users on the one host to manage uniquely forwarding each through procmail constructs, you may as well deal with it in your MTA config as aliases or whatever and leave procmail out of the equation until the message is ACTUALLY at the LDA stage.

PS, I dunno if sheep shrink, but they do _stink_ when it rains. Travel to Wales sometime, where the weather is "rainy", "overcast", and "rainy", and they raise a lot of sheep.