Re: transferring mail to a subnet

2002-06-07 14:05:39
At 13:25 2002-06-07 -0500, Garys did say:
Now, my needs have changed, and I need some advicw on how best to do
this.  I have set up a home network using four machines.  I have a FQDN
and utilize hosts for a static IP address for each machine. For Example:

/etc/hosts won't do you much good if someone is trying to email you from the outside world.

Perhaps you diagram a message coming into your system from the outside world, and what you want to happen with it?

Now, my question is how do I write recipes, (or maybe postfix should
handle this altogether), for putting mail in the various machines? How
do I make sure Mark(_at_)minor(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com will get his, or gary.pc.com
will get
his?  Do I need a global .procmailrc file, or should postfix handle
this?

This is an MX config issue (and thus a matter for DNS and your SMTP agent) - if mail is delivered to different hosts, those hosts should have MX records in *DNS* (and DNS is the only way the outside world will know of your domain anyway). If you set the MX config properly for your hosts, and whatever postfix's local-host-names config is, mail will appear at the various hosts.

Set the MX for your base domain to point to whichever host handles mail for the base domain.

Don't forget that you can make use of aliases on the base mail host to redirect messages to other hosts. Again, that's within the scope of your MTA, not procmail. In fact, you shouldn't use procmail for this, since procmail isn't an MTA - once you deal with BCC'd and multiple-recipient messages, you'll understand that procmail isn't intended for this - it's an LDA.