Re: transferring mail to a subnet

2002-06-07 17:15:44
On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 17:35, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

Ah, so the hosts are on a non-routed net.  This is significant (yea, I
realize you specified 192.168.x in the hosts example, but since you used
"pc.com" as the domain (which, since that belongs to Intel Corp, I kind of
doubt you're really using it), I took it all to be one big "for example",
versus literal).

Yes, the pc.com domain name was the first thing that came to mind to use as
a figurative example, sorry for the confusion..

I dunno what the postfix feature is, but in Sendmail terms, you might want
to check out the "SMART_HOST" feature (amongst your hosts), and
"LUSER_RELAY" (as in Local USER, not Looser <g>).  For Sendmail, you'd also
refer to cf/README for loads of information on host relaying.  Also see
<http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html>.  For postfix, you'll need to
find an appopriate postfix forum or guru.

Yes Postfix has this too, the Luser relay.... I stopped using Sendmail
about 2-3 years ago, as it became too complicated (at least for me)... I
will check in with the Postfix egroup..

Hit deja with:
         "sendmail host mail relay server gateway 192.168"

Good idea...

Mail comes in directly from the MX records on major.pc.com.  I have
aliases in postfix set up to catch all mail (for the monent) of the FQDN
"pc.com" to send to gary(_at_)pc(_dot_)com, which is my $HOME and procmail
sends it
there through my local rc file.

Use a virtusertable type of feature (or better, user_db, if postfix has
it), to redirect received email to a different local host.  Again, this is
an MTA issue, not procmail, which makes a miserable MTA.
                                               ^^^    ^^^  True, but
procmail can do almost anything <g>  Yes, Postfix has virtual tables.db

A benefit to getting the hosts properly handled in a relay is that it won't
matter how many users you have on the different hosts, the mail will just
relay to them for disposition.

true, true...  a much more elegant way of doing it.  I can see that now.

I would suggest that you do want serious DNSBL and anti-relaying configs on
your exposed MX, since you'll otherwise be accepting junkmail and then
routing it within your network...

Thanks, am covered well by Postfix... will only relay for whom I tell it
to, and many have tried, via my logs, but Postfix just shuts them down..
Same for DNS...

Crude diagram would be WAN sends mail to mark(_at_)minor(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com
So, I want it
to  WAN > major.pc.com > mark(_at_)minor(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com

WAN (SMTP) -> major.pc.com -> MTA virtusertable or user_db ->
user(_at_)otherhost(_dot_)pc(_dot_)com

I can see this now ...

At issue would be how to construct the DNS MX records so that mail properly
shows up at your gateway, but that the gateway will still deliver it to the
actual inhouse host.  /etc/hosts takes precedence over DNS, but has no
support for MX records -- however, so long as the mail arrives at the
gateway box,

This part works okay ..

and then you use the mailertable feature (in Sendmail, figure
out the equivalent postfix feature), you can relay mail internally to the
other hosts:

[mailertable]
minor.domain.tld        esmtp:minor.domain.tld
other.domain.tld        esmtp:other.domain.tld

Ah, the crux of the matter... I can dig it up somewhere... This will
totally solve my issue.

I was thinking that procmail on major.pc.com could ! or pipe to mark on
his machine at minor.pc.com

Refer to 'man procmail' where it states the mantra that procmail is not an
MTA.  You'll eventually run into issues with attempting to route mail using
it as a makeshift MTA, and you'll tear your hair out

Yep... makes sense now that you have laid it all out for me.

(if you have any)
 Less and less every day... <g>

after you've become reliant on using it as one when it shouldn't have
been.  If you're up to setting up unique users on the one host to manage
uniquely forwarding each through procmail constructs, you may as well deal
with it in your MTA config as aliases or whatever and leave procmail out of
the equation until the message is ACTUALLY at the LDA stage.

Perfect answer, and I have it in my thick head... This, I can see, is
the best way of doing it...

PS, I dunno if sheep shrink, but they do _stink_ when it rains.  Travel to
Wales sometime, where the weather is "rainy", "overcast", and "rainy", and
they raise a lot of sheep.

I would love to go to Wales ... even with the stink.  Can't be as bad as
my 3 dogs, totalling over 300 pounds in weight, house dogs at night,
mind you, .. on a rainy day <g>...  wife just loves me then.

                Many thanks for your input.
--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.
--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?