LOGFILE doesn't work in .procmailrc

2002-06-08 01:35:32
Okay, I have been using procmail for about a year now.  I never got very
fancy with the ruleset, just sent some bothersome spammers to
/dev/null.  Now I am trying to do a little more with it, and I am not
having any success.  The server that my mail is sent to and read from is
not administered by myself, so I have no control over the version of
procmail or how sendmail is set up on the server.

The current version of procmail we are running is:

mx: {44} % procmail -v
procmail v3.22 2001/09/10

I am having 2 problems right now with my .procmailrc file that I can't
seem to find an answer for from co-workers, on the internet, or through
the mailing list archives.  If someone could give me a hand, I would
appreciate it.

1.  My LOGFILE doesn't seem to work.  Here is what I have written here
in my .procmailrc file:

mx: {45} % head .procmailrc
## file: .procmailrc
## author: chris mutchler
## personal use only

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmaillog
COMSAT=no
LOGABSTRACT=all
VERBOSE=yes

I have tried simply writing LOGFILE=.procmaillog, however that doesn't
work either.  I've tried creating the logfile manually and making sure
the permissions are set correctly on the file:

mx: {46} % ll .procmaillog
-rw-rw-rw-  1 chrism  users  0 Jun  7 10:42 .procmaillog

However, no matter what I do, nothing gets put into the logfile.  What
am I doing wrong?

2.  The other issue I am having is that when I send something to a mail
"folder" -- I use pine to read my email, so it's really just a file --
it won't go there.  But if I send it to /dev/null, it will work just
fine.  Here is one of my rules:

:0 c
* ^From.*Administrator*
sa-msg

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Chris Mutchler
UNIX SysAdmin
chrism(_at_)leibnizcreations(_dot_)com