Re: filter duplicate mails

2002-06-13 15:20:57
At 11:49 2002-06-13 +0200, Kai Bleek wrote:

I'm searching for a recipe to filter duplicate mails (coming from
various mailing-lists, e.g.)

Duplicate on what criteria? If the original message-IDs are the same, then the formail messageid cache would work. From 'man procmailex' :

       If you are subscribed to several mailinglists  and  people  cross-
       post  to some of them, you usually receive several duplicate mails
       (one from every list).  The  following  simple  recipe  eliminates
       duplicate  mails.   It  tells formail to keep an 8KB cache file in
       which it will store the Message-IDs of the most recent  mails  you
       received.  Since Message-IDs are guaranteed to be unique for every
       new mail, they are ideally suited to  weed  out  duplicate  mails.
       Simply  put the following recipe at the top of your rcfile, and no
       duplicate mail will get past it.

              :0 Wh: msgid.lock
              | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

       Beware if you have delivery problems in recipes below this one and
[snip - read the manpage for the rest]

For lists where they resend the message with a new messageid (icko!), this won't do you any good.

If you want to identify them based on their body content, well, it's going to be tricky -- many mailing lists tack on their own list footers, so a CRC of the message (or even the results of "cksum") wouldn't be the same.

Please elaborate further rather than having unncessary recipes written to order.

But since I do not want to build this for every single user I would
like to use a GLOBAL recipe to filter duplicate messages.

Uhm, are you suggesting that you globally filter a message out because SOME OTHER user already received it? I can't advise that.