Re: newbie question / problem

2002-06-17 09:50:36
On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Scott Stark wrote:

[...]

2. My .forward file:

"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail #slugger4"

        In most of modern systems you do not need the .forward - just
        .procmail. maybe it cause problem?  There are some .forward formats
        look in  http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#altForward
        to fined the one that your system likes.

[...]
4. My real intention is not to run the perl script of course, but to run
hypermail to update a mail archive, based on the To: header. The perl
script is just a useful check to see if procmail is working while I figure
out hypermail.

        What is hypermail?

5. I'm not sure about the MAILDIR variable; is it referring to the location

        Procmail is very strong and sophisticated, I suggest you to leave
        as much variables as you can under procmail's control.
        Just leave it.

[...]
9. Again, I've still not been able to get it to work, after using Udi's
suggestions. My suspicion is the .procmailrc file isn't even being
accessed, as nothing at all is happening.

        The command  ls -lu  can give you the time when the file was
        opened for reading.  Try to run mail in verbose mode to see if
        sendmail try to read your .forward:

mail -v your(_at_)address
hello
.

        Note that  "."  is one and only in the last line.
        Maybe in your system the command is Mail(1) or mailx(1).
        No promise that your ISP allow verbose option, try.

        Now! After you struggled against procmail in the dark you worthy
        for better (:-) Goto: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
        Nancy McGough will take you smoothly from  keywords and terms to
        your first own nice and working .procmailrc

Bye,
 Udi