MH Mail folders question

2002-06-19 02:35:06
A quick and easy question:  If I have procmail delivering to an MH folder, and
my mail server might deliver multiple local messages simultaneously, then do I
need a lock file?

ie is this OK?:

:0
./MH_Folder/.

Second question, from searching around I think that I do need locking, and
presumably if I have a reader application which is simultaneously reading the
new mail, how do I make sure that I don't get an incomplete read, ie is there a
standard way of locking MH that reader applications understand as well?  For
reference I have a perl app using the Mail::Box library and I am not sure how
to ensure that I don't get to read just part of a new mail because procmail
hasn't finished delivering it yet?

Alternatively there may be a temp file involved somewhere and hence delivery is
atomic and all this is moot?  Can anyone clear this up please?

Thanks

Ed W