Re: procmail

2002-06-27 09:15:49
At 17:19 2002-06-25 -0600, Christopher Leon - Nicholas & Company, Inc. did say:
I installed procmail, and went through the messy instructions on how to configure the procmailrc.

You must be reading different instructions. The ones in the procmail manpages aren't that obtuse unless perhaps you're new to the whole unix thing. Have you checked the resources listed at <http://www.procmail.org>, including Nancy's Procmail QuickStart?

WHERE are the instructions you used -- in a manpage on your system?

I then read some other instructions that said it should be named .procmailrc . I then read some where that there should be a .foward file that has the absolute path of procmail (usr/local/bin).

... which is necessary only if procmail isn't the LDA on your server.

Now, let's assume that you properly created this .forward file -- WHAT PATH did you use, and what brought you to the conclusion that it was the correct path for your system? Surely you would check, either with 'which' or by performing a directory of the dir which you specified?

I am not honestly sure that procmail is even installed.

Well, uh, that would have been a fine thing to verify first.

FTR, you should check your recipes *BEFORE* you install them as your active mail filters anyway (where, if you have a syntax error, they could be ditching your email into the ether), so trying to invoke the program from a terminal shell would be a logical step in there someplace.

See the link in my .sig for info on sandbox testing for procmail. Also, check out the shell script 'procdiag' located there as well, which will collect up some information and point out possible issues for you.

Is there any way to determine that our mail server is now using procmail,

"is now using" would imply that it wasn't previously and that you'd installed it. Try running 'find' (or 'locate', or 'which' - some will tell you the file is there, versus which telling you that it is actually in your path) on your system looking for procmail, or run 'man procmail' (you've got a really goofy system if the manpages are there but the program isn't - that would indicate that someone installed the package, then purged parts of it, or that your distro is broken, or that someone manually compiled it and didn't install it properly).

Try 'procmail -v'

and if it is, how come the test recipes I put in the procmailrc file are not filtering out the messages.

You didn't mention anything about file permissions - if the script (or the home directory) is write permission for anybody other than owner, procmail won't run it. See 'man procmail'.

It would also help to know if you're the sysadm of the system you're trying to configure it on, or if you're just another user - if you're trying to get this to work personally, and your sysadm doesn't want to help you, the install instructions will be different (because you'll need to download the SOURCE and COMPILE it, then install it in your own user directory).