[OT] Re: set names for backup files

2002-06-30 08:53:57
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Udi Mottelo wrote:

      Yes, I meant find(1) against ls(1).  I must say that I was shocked
      when I saw that the complicated prog like find(1) is so fast and ls(1)
      is so dumb(?):

"ls" is examining each file name to omit it if it begins with a dot,
sorting the output alphabetically, possibly arranging it in columns, and
probably also adding color codes for different file types.  "find" is just
spitting everything out in whatever order it encounters it.

Try "ls -Rsf1N" for maximum speed.