Re: remove return receipt? (procmail s*bs)

2002-07-02 21:39:55
I've already been over this, but out of respect for your generous help to us
all and since it isn't a personal matter, I'll go through it once more.

(or just the config), and the new one may require that you confirm from the
same address as you're trying to subscribe with.  How often were you trying
to subscribe, such that you'd know that it had developed this problem?

There is no way for me to test whether procmail-users requires posting from
an address that is subscribed.  (See below.)  It took weeks of trial and
error to find a machine that procmail-users would let me subscribe from and
subsequently post from.  I did not keep track of how many tries I made.

I don't know what would have changed in January, but the config certainly

I'm not sure procmail-users changed in January.  It may have been that sheer
luck got me on the list in November of last year from a machine within my
sub-domain, and that after the power failure that resulted in my being kicked
off the list at the end of December, I was not so lucky.

This creates havoc for people who are behind a firewall and have an
upstream name server,

What does your nameserver have to do with it?  For that matter, where your

Well, I made another test to be sure that things have not changed.  The test
took 8 days.  What I received back to the machine I posted from was (excerpt):

<procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>

... while talking to hera.x.cuci.nl.:
RCPT To:<procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>
<<< 451 4.1.8 Unresolvable domainname
netb(_at_)irm(_dot_)nara(_dot_)kindai(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp
<procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>... Deferred: 451 4.1.8 Unresolvable
domainname netb(_at_)irm(_dot_)nara(_dot_)kindai(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp
Message could not be delivered for 5 days
Message will be deleted from queue

It was pointed out to me that the machines, e.g., ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp
and ibr3.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp, I was trying to subscribe from only had
one name server, and that was likely the reason I could not use them.
Actually, I run both a primary and secondary on my sub-domain, but it appears
that they are not visible from the outside, and that my upstream name server
is not configured correctly to query my name servers.  There is absolutely
nothing I can do about that, as I am not in a position to do any boat-rocking.
(Forgot what command the person used to discover this information, but I'd
like to know in case I ever get onto the Internet from outside of the school.)

The mail server shouldn't
care where your message is coming from so long as the From: address
properly matches that of a subscriber.

Again, that is the problem.  Procmail-users wouldn't let me subscribe from
the machines I use daily.  As I explained in my last cry for help, it is only
procmail-users that is giving me trouble; 6 other lists I belong to let me
subscribe and post from machines in my sub-domain.

ending up on a blacklist (orbz).  If your mail is being rejected because
your host is in a blacklist, perhaps you should work to fix THAT problem

That doesn't appear to be the problem.  If it is, I doubt there's anything
I could do about it.

Anyway, I'll take this as an opportunity to thank you for all your hints
and help with procmail.

henry nelson