bogus(?) ^From_ line

2002-07-05 09:07:42
Hi, all --

I've changed servers and am still shaking out the differences between my
old Linux 2.4 qmail system and my new FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE qmail system.

On the old box, I delivered via a .forward file with the classic

  "|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Ytf- || exit
75 #davidtg"

and all worked well; my ^From_ lines were of the form

  From mutt-users-owner-MYADDR=MYSITE.DOM  Fri Jun 21 18:55:50 2002

and I could tell how the message came in and all.

On the new box, .forward is ignored and so I deliver via a .qmail file
which now has simply

  | /usr/local/bin/procmail -Ytf- || exit 75    #davidtg

since the classic long form had the same problem I'm reporting now.  For
some reason, my ^From_ lines are now simply

  From davidtg  Fri Jul  5 05:38:17 2002

and some of my lovely procmail rules don't apply any more and I have a
lot more stuff in my $DEFAULT (ugh).

I'm working through my rules and getting most things resolved, but I'd
still like to have my ^From_ lines back.  I've read the man pages and
understand why I have "-Ytf-" there but haven't seen anything in the
archive or Bronto-FAQ about why -f- would write "davidtg" as though I had
fetched the mail or some such.

Further details available upon demand.  I don't know whether the
procdiag.sh script is standard "Step 1" or not, so I won't include its
copious output here yet, but

  bash-2.05a$ uname -a
  FreeBSD www.lg.com 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Fri Feb 15 15:18:29
GMT 2002
root(_at_)jumpstart(_dot_)datapipe(_dot_)net:/usr/src/sys/compile/EASYADMIN
i386
  bash-2.05a$ which procmail
  /usr/local/bin/procmail
  bash-2.05a$ procmail -v
  procmail v3.22 2001/09/10
      Copyright (c) 1990-2001, Stephen R. van den Berg
<srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl>
      Copyright (c) 1997-2001, Philip A. Guenther
<guenther(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com>

  Submit questions/answers to the procmail-related mailinglist by sending to:
          <procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>

  And of course, subscription and information requests for this list to:
          <procmail-users-request(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>

  Locking strategies:     dotlocking, lockf()
  Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
  Your system mailbox:    /var/mail/davidtg
  bash-2.05a$

might be of interest.

TIA & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg(_at_)justpickone(_dot_)org * than to live up to them. -- fortune
cookie
(work) davidtgwork(_at_)justpickone(_dot_)org