Re: bogus(?) ^From_ line

2002-07-05 10:56:27
Somewhere deep in the multipart wrapping, David T-G (no relation) wrote,

| On the new box, .forward is ignored and so I deliver via a .qmail file
| which now has simply
|
|   | /usr/local/bin/procmail -Ytf- || exit 75  #davidtg
|
| since the classic long form had the same problem I'm reporting now.  For
| some reason, my ^From_ lines are now simply
|
|   From davidtg  Fri Jul  5 05:38:17 2002
|
| and some of my lovely procmail rules don't apply any more and I have a
| lot more stuff in my $DEFAULT (ugh).

Under qmail, preline is a procmail user's best friend.  It adds a From_
line and a Delivered-To: header showing the actual envelope sender and
envelope recipient.  By relying on procmail's -f- instead, you depend
on what procmail knows, which by that point is only who owns the process.

You may or may not need to specify the entire path to preline, depending
on whether it is in qmail's default PATH (it should be):

  | preline /usr/local/bin/procmail -Yt || exit 75

David W. T. (no hyphens, though in French the W would be a G)