Re: What does mailfilter mean?

2002-07-07 16:59:16
At 19:34 2002-07-07 -0400, Homer Wilson Smith wrote:

OK, this is what I was missing. It is sort of an odd use of the words 'to filter',

Think photographic filter: the glass lens _changes_ something. Or a noise or frequency filter: to eliminate something entirely or shift it to another frequency.

Most people generically refer to anything manipulating their email - selectively tossing something, or moving something to one mailbox or another - or altering the mail itself, to be "filtering". This is still a correct use of the term, since you're changing the path which the message takes.