Re: Defining an rc file for a local mailer.

2002-07-10 18:40:18
At 14:55 2002-07-10 -0800, Matthew Schumacher did say:

Is there any work around to this? Perhaps call procmail with -m and pass the user then instruct it to deliver to a user inside of the RC?

Rather than asking "how can I do this little part of what I'm trying to accomplish", you should instead give a go at explaining what you're trying to accomplish overall. You manage to do this later in your message, and THAT clarifies some stuff.

An evil kludge would be to simply compile a separate version of procmail which uses a different file for /etc/procmailrc, and use that as your alternate LDA. However, the /etc/procmailrc should be able to deal with what you want done easily enough.

Yes, I want to make two mailers so that one will deliver normally and the other will do some spam filtering. The determining factor to which user gets which mailer is actually stored in the users LDAP record as the aptMailSpam attribute. I have the LDAP database setup in sendmail so writing a rule to pick a mailer based on the attribute is easy.

Presumably all users should still get their own .procmailrc handled if they have one, right? And /etc/procmailrc ?

Have you considered simply performing the LDAP lookup from within /etc/procmailrc?

[/etc/procmailrc]
:0
* ? /path/ladplookuphelper $LOGNAME
{
        # do stuff for certain users
}

:0E
{
        # do stuff for other users (or, eliminate this stuff from the outer
        # brace and flags, and it'll happen for ALL LDAs, AFTER the above is
        # performed.
}

Yes I know I can do this, but I feel that I am calling procmail twice when I should only need to do it once.

See above - procmail gets called once, runs some prog to tell us whether the USER should be filtered differently and takes action.

I'm all for optimizations and the like, but frankly if calling procmail twice in succession is going to cripple your mail server, you desparately need to upgrade your mail server.

If you get your alternate delivery hack working, you might want to document

Where do I post my comments?  This list?

As they apply to utilizing procmail in this fashion, yes. Or, document the stuff (and any ongoing changes) on a page on your own site, and post a link and brief commentary here.