Re: Defining an rc file for a local mailer.

2002-07-10 19:38:11

Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 14:55 2002-07-10 -0800, Matthew Schumacher did say:

Rather than asking "how can I do this little part of what I'm trying to accomplish", you should instead give a go at explaining what you're trying to accomplish overall. You manage to do this later in your message, and THAT clarifies some stuff.

I'll keep this in mind...

An evil kludge would be to simply compile a separate version of procmail which uses a different file for /etc/procmailrc, and use that as your alternate LDA. However, the /etc/procmailrc should be able to deal with what you want done easily enough.

Yea, that does sound like an evil kludge...

Presumably all users should still get their own .procmailrc handled if they have one, right? And /etc/procmailrc ?

No, all of the users are in LDAP and none of them have a home dir.

Have you considered simply performing the LDAP lookup from within /etc/procmailrc?

Yes, but then I will be calling procmail twice and ldapsearch once. That cause 2 binaries which depend on 9 libraries to start, plus the hit to bring up and tear down an ldap session to the local ldap server which is bound to a trusted interface on a TCP port and it also does away with sendmail's ability to cache LDAP lookups and causes the system to process mail the long hard way every time.

I'm all for optimizations and the like, but frankly if calling procmail twice in succession is going to cripple your mail server, you desparately need to upgrade your mail server.

I don't think this will cripple the mail server, it's on decent hardware but I would be adding signifigate work to the mail process.

As they apply to utilizing procmail in this fashion, yes. Or, document the stuff (and any ongoing changes) on a page on your own site, and post a link and brief commentary here.

Perhaps a site would be in order... dunno yet...

Thanks again,

schu