formail question

2002-07-10 23:07:15
Dear all,

Like most of you, I have subscribed to several high traffic maillists
using several different mail addresses. I used to receive several
hundred messages everyday. Currently, I have configured "fetchmail"
to collect all those mail messages from different mail servers for me,
and then I can use Netscape Messenger to retrieve them using "POP3"
from my Linux box.

Of those several hundred messages, of course, I cannot read them one
by one everyday, but would like to archive them into different mail
folders inside Netscape Messenger for later searching and reading use.
However, as most maillists doesn't automatically include an abbreviated
list name (e.g. [SLE] for SuSE Linux English) inside the subject line,
I cannot easily recognize and put them into the proper folder. And
opening them one by one to check which list they should belong to is
just too time consuming for me. I have checked over the command options
of "procmail" and thus "formail", and seems the "-x" and "-i" options
of "formail" are what I wanted - extract the subject field, add the
list abbreviation and write it back. However, I don't know how to
include the extracted "subject" field content back into the "-i"
parameter field. Can anyone give me a hand on how to do this ?

Thanks,
Raymond Fung.