Re: probable error in .forward entry

2002-07-11 01:21:22
At 16:04 2002-07-10 -0400, Sreejayanth M Kidambi wrote:

My recipies work well and .procmailrc is read when I send a mail to myself,

Sent how?

entry in .forward, but its similar to that in the man page.

"|IFS=' ';exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75 #myID"

Which manpage of which version of procmail?  In any event, try simplifying it:

"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail"

The IFS bit has to do with circumventing a potential security problem (if your current LDA is smrsh, it shouldn't be an issue for you), and the whole " || exit 75 #myID" bit is for basically saying "gosh, I couldn't invoke procmail properly, so I'm bailing with a requeue result."

There are probably errors being emitted into the system or maillog (see /var/log/) which explain the problem the system is experiencing in your case.

The .forward I generally recommend is:

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #youruserid"

Though the following checks the procmail binary first:

"|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/bin/procmail && test -x $p && exec $p -f- || exit 75 #youruserid"

(this goes a step further and checks that procmail exists and is executable before trying to execute it)

I dug around my archives, and the following link explains the reasoning for the IFS variable change and makes the same suggestion to simplify your .forward if you've got smrsh for an LDA:

I copied the mail which sneaked in to a file,

"Sneaked in to a file"? Is your mail system on 'ludes? Why is it sneaking around?

and fed it to procmail from command line and it was dealt with fine,

Which supports the likelyhood that the existing LDA doesn't much care for your .forward or security.

and I saw the logs too. Permissions for .forward is 644, and .procmailrc 600.

.. and what are the perms on your home directory?

Refer to the procdiag.sh script linked from the disclaimer in my .sig - it may reveal something for you. It might even identify procmail as the LDA on your system, negating the need for a .forward.