managing quotas

2002-07-20 11:05:10
We are running sendmail with procmail as the local delivery agent on
our Sun server and have set quotas for the mail spool file.

1. Is there a recipe I can put in /etc/procmailrc to catch all messages
that would exceed the quota -- so we can save them elsewhere and send
a message to the intended recipient?

One possibility would be to run a perl script on all incoming
messages, but we have many users so the overhead starting perl for
each incoming message would be unacceptable.  Since  "man procmail"
mentions the Diagnostic Message:   Quota exceeded while writing "x",
I am hoping for some cheap version so the perl script only runs for
the rarer occasions when someone is over quota.

2. Can one set both "soft" and "hard" quotas for each user's mail
spool file.  How does procmail treat these differently?

Note: Currently /etc/procmailrc is empty, so it doesn't even exist [of
course many users have personal ~/.procmailrc files].

       Thanks in advance,
         Jerry