Re: How do I get procmail to output an error message?

2002-07-21 04:20:02
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Aleksey Nogin wrote:

Is is possible to get procmail to output something - not to the LOG
file, but to stdout/stderr? I need it to get sendmail to generate a
custom error message when doing a bounce. Currently I have to set up
sendmail to call a special procmail wrapper script instead of calling
procmail directly and the wrapper script does the following:

------
#!/bin/sh
MSG=`mktemp /var/tmp/procmail.wrpr.XXXXXX`
cat - > $MSG
/usr/bin/procmail "$@" < $MSG
EXITVAL=$?
if [ $EXITVAL = 77 ]; then
         echo "Your e-mail went through a blacklisted server:"
         .../scripts/generate-rbl-details < $MSG
         echo ""
         echo "Because of that our system decided to reject your e-mail."
         echo "If you believe this was a mistake, please resend your
message"
         echo 'with "please read" added to the Subject field.'
         echo ""
fi
rm -f $MSG
exit $EXITVAL
------

        I do not understand why do you need the stderr?  I guess that you
        want to send a message when you find that "e-mail went through a
        blacklisted server".  So, why don't you do it instead of set
        the $EXITVAL?

:0 fbw
* Does the e-mail went through a blacklisted server ?
| cat /the/message -

But this is pretty ugly - is there a way to do this via procmailrc
without having to modify sendmail.cf and utilize a separate wrapper script?

        Try this:

mkfifo /var/log/procmail

        Now, /var/log/procmail is not regular file but, named pipe.
        Next, run script witch read this pipe in loop and do what ever
        you want.

        In /etc/procmailrc:

LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail

        Nothing changed Ha? (:-)

        I did not check it with procmail but I use this trick (for long time)
        to filter syslogd messages in Solaris 7 (Sun does not support filters
        in syslog.conf.  I set the output file /var/adm/messages as named pipe)

        (Yes, I know it ugly too)

Bye,
 Udi