Re: Spam with date set in the future

2002-07-21 06:14:27
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

PSE> I;m curious - if you've been running this for a few days at this point (or
PSE> reprocessing any old mailboxes with it), how effective has it been, and
PSE> what sort of false positives have you seen?

An update on this.  I have 7 messages in my spam folder.  6 out of 7 were
trapped with the old/future/bad date recipe.

2 are false positives from mailing lists with the dates set to sometime in
August.

2 were caught as well by another recipe because they were addressed to an
old address I used in usenet and it is probably years since I used it.

2 were caught only by the date trap, one of which was sent to a btinternet
address and I have never used an address there, apart from testing it to
myself.  The other was sent to the address I use only in mail lists.

These 7 messages represent a week's trapped spam.  I am now bouncing
anything to the address I use in usenet before it hits my pop boxes
because it was 100% spam (10 - 20 per day) and I have just discovered how
to do it (I'd rather not bounce, but they don't provide a /dev/null).

4 spams hit the autoresponder.  The irritating thing about this is that I
could have trapped 3 of those if my pop box provider would cooperate. They
all have message ids that seem to have been put in by the provider so I
guess they arrived there without a message id.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email may invoke a password autoresponder. )