Re: Spam with date set in the future

2002-07-21 14:13:45
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Bart Schaefer wrote:

BS> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Alan Clifford wrote:
BS>
BS> > 4 spams hit the autoresponder.  The irritating thing about this is that
BS> > I could have trapped 3 of those if my pop box provider would cooperate.
BS> > They all have message ids that seem to have been put in by the provider
BS> > so I guess they arrived there without a message id.
BS>
BS> Walt Dnes' spamdunk includes recipes to check for things like "From
BS> address is external but Message-ID is local" (where "local" includes your
BS> ISP).

Bingo! I think you might have pointed me in the right direction.  There is
an identifiable difference between a legitimate mail with the "mailix" id
(eg from my wife's laptop using Eudora and their smtp server) and spam
with a "mailix" id.  And this seems to be a received header in the legit.
mail with smtp.mailix.net that doesn't appear in the spam.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email may invoke a password autoresponder. )