Re: Spam with date set in the future

2002-07-05 15:04:03
At 20:33 2002-07-02 +0100, Alan Clifford wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

PSE> Keep in mind that if you REPROCESS mail - manually unpack a mailbox
PSE> into your procmail filters, you should have some way to disable that
PSE> particular filter, or you'll hose yourself for it.

Good point, But I'm comparing the date date with the from_ date so I
should be ok.

Okay.

I;m curious - if you've been running this for a few days at this point (or reprocessing any old mailboxes with it), how effective has it been, and what sort of false positives have you seen?

I'm actually considering utilizing something similar for a mailing list preprocessor (a set of procmail filters running in front of majordomo to identify and respond to common user problems). In this particular application, I figure we can direct seriously "lagged" messages to the listadmin for approval - not because they're suspected to be spam, but because they might be messages the user sent which got tied up in their mail server - or in the listserver backup MX (say if there were network problems), and as a result, the message MIGHT have already been resent - or it's a "is the list up" type of message, etc. By automatically tagging such messages and directing them to the admin, the server can avoid crap traffic.

Actually, I don't seem to mind too much browsing the index of the spam box
but I get really irritated at spam in my mail box.

I have a daily report that dumps relevant log entries from my procmail log into a statistics mailbox for me. Stuff like:

SPAM: No To/cc/bcc
INFO: SpamFilter v02.00.05  PSE  2001.12.12 03:06:14
>From guest(_at_)guest(_dot_)com  Thu Jul  4 23:12:13 2002
Folder: gzip -9fc >> spam.gz 4034

valid mail back to a dedicated box at my pop box host.  I think I am
getting obsessive....

Nahhh...