Re: turning recipes on and off

2002-08-26 18:45:16
Udi explained,

| O.K. I see my problem, but, I do not understand why, because I
| learn from the sendmail book (O'Reilly) that the format of the
| From_ line is "From $g $d" while  $d  is set when  $a  is set
| (part 31.10.10).  And (part 31.10.2): "The $a macro holds the
| origin date of the a mail message (the date and time that the
| original message was sent). ...".  My conclusion was that From_
| gives the sender date.  By exploration my INBOX I see that you
| right, the date is local - hmmm, confusion!

That book is obviously wrong about that.  From_ is added upon delivery to an
mbox or by procmail's -f option, and for the very reasons we discussed before,
the delivering system cannot reliably know the time and date of the original
dispatch.

In any case, regardless of what time and date the MTA might want to write
there, procmail -f- will write the current time and date when procmail is
processing the message, so examining the From_ line when procmail has been
called with the -f- option is a rock-solid way to make recipes turn on or off
at specific dates and times.  I've used it for years and it has never failed
me.