Re: turning recipes on and off

2002-08-27 09:03:03
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Don Hammond wrote:

On 27 Aug, Udi Mottelo wrote:
| On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, David W. Tamkin wrote:
|
| > Udi explained,
| >
| > | O.K. I see my problem, but, I do not understand why, because I
| > | learn from the sendmail book (O'Reilly) that the format of the
| > | ... right, the date is local - hmmm, confusion!
| >
| > That book is obviously wrong about that.  From_ is added upon delivery to
an
| > mbox or by procmail's -f option, and for the very reasons we discussed
before,
| > the delivering system cannot reliably know the time and date of the
original
| > dispatch.
|
|     Well, I not think that Bryan Costales & Eric Allman(!) made
|     an error like this but, I'll not surpris if I had misunderstud..
|     However, I adopted the  -f-  flag.

Getting far afield here, but just so Udi doesn't think he's crazy...

The $a macro (31.10.2) does contain the date/time the message *claims*
to have been sent, if it is available from a Posted-Date: or Date:
header. Section 31.10.10 describes the $d macro as holding "the current
date and time", as posited by David. It says "$d is given its value at
the same time $a is defined".  Note that says "when $a is defined", not
what $a contains. In other words, $a is not defined when the sender ...

        Ha! that is the point!

sends the message (which would be quite impossible), but when you
receive it. This time is the value $d contains. Remember this is
sendmail on the receiving end setting these values.

Many thanks Don
  Udi