Re: Spamming list members

2002-09-12 11:08:23
On Thursday 12 September 2002 09:47, Fred Morris wrote:

# I believe in autoresponders; I'm all for them. Or, you know you could just
# /dev/null: so you murder the occasional helpful stranger, at least it's
# polite. People who set their vacation autoresponders loose on mailing lists
# deserve the same sanction originally proposed for people advertising false
# DNS root.  People who strip your X-Loop headers and don't use any of their
# own have a special ring in hell all of their own. Anybody who doesn't
# whitelist their mailing list traffic is alt.test bait, figuratively
# speaking; that, and a host of other issues are "netiquette", and there's
# precious little agreement on that.
#
# I also don't like e-mail pursuant to either mailing list or usenet
# postings; but that's also netiquette, on which there's precious little
# agreement. I also whitelist lists. Looks like I can blacklist this topic.
#
# Nobody's e-mail is so precious and important that I have to read it.
#

I had promised myself to ignore this thread, but since I previously stated
our policy, I decided it best to note that we've changed that policy.  We
whitelist our customers, friends, associates, etc...and lists we subscribe
to, of course.  But all else is subject to confirmation.

Oddly enough, this change of heart was inspired by David Tamkin.  After
reading his post, I found myself just a bit annoyed that anyone would
complain about a computer's owner controlling what data when in to or out of
that computer.  So while I didn't want to view this as a "political" issue,
I wound up being dragged down to the same level as everyone else.
--

Robin Lynn Frank
Paradigm-Omega, LLC