Re: Spamming list members

2002-09-13 16:39:42
At 22:18 2002-09-13 +0100, Laurabelle did say:

I have toyed with posting as "abuse(_at_)niceperson(_dot_)org" and seeing who
spams that address.

I would strongly advise against offering up the standard abuse complaint address to spammers. Most SHOULD strip it from their lists (it's basically like sending your spam to someone who _should_ investigate the infraction, rather than tossing or ignoring it), but spammers aren't the brightest of folks, as we all know.

Converse to that, the abuse address is often an address which is explicity configured to allow mail, regardless of DNSBLs and other blocks, and as such would be subject to more spam, should spammers choose to spew to it, which fortunatley, they seem not to.

And then there are the people who spam spamassassin-talk.  I really
wonder sometimes.

See above mention about spammers not coming from a quality gene pool.