Re: Spamming list members

2002-09-12 15:04:05
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Chris Green wrote:

CG> On the Usenet groups that I frequent 'address harvesting' is minimal
CG> or non-existent.  I tried the experiment several months ago of changing
CG> the address for my Usenet postings, in those several months I
CG> think I have had only about two or three bits of junk mail to that
CG> address and they could probably be accounted for by other means (i.e.
CG> other people copying the address elesewhere inadvertently). I'm
CG> currently subscribed to 61 groups.

My experience is completely the opposite.  I bought a brand new domain and
within 24 hours of posting in usenet as sardines(_at_)purse-seine(_dot_)net, I
received spam.  I was receiving over 10 junk emails a day to my previous
usenet address and I was fed up of downloading them just so that they
could be filtered with my procmail recipes (almost on topic here).  And I
use a web interface from work to look at my emails before they are
downloaded and filtered here and the usenet-address spam was really
irritating me.

I will simply not tolerate this kind of behaviour by people who think
that, because I have made an email address public, they can email all
sorts of junk to me.  Now email sent to my usenet addresses don't even
reach my mailboxes - they are just deleted so I don't have to download
them.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder. )