Re: Spamming list members

2002-09-12 01:14:53
On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 11:46 PM, David W. Tamkin wrote:
None of them think it through to grasp that the only people who see the
autoresponse are those whose mail should have been accepted. None of them realize that the autoresponse should be phrased to fit the people who read it, not those who don't. None of them realize that the mistake is theirs for rejecting legitimate personal email as spam, not the sender's for daring to
write in the first place.

Interesting. I've had very limited experience with the PYLM setups, basically just a couple of people that were trying them out or one person I contacted via a web page. I remember that one because it seemed so reasonable.

something like this:
Hi, if you're reading this it means my computer doesn't know who your are. It's a stupid computer and it can't tell the difference between real mail and garbage. Please reply to this message (You don't have to do anything but reply) and the original message you sent will get passed on and my stupid computer will know who you are from now on.

It made me even consider -- for like almost five or six seconds, a PYLM setup for myself. Then my frontal lobes kicked in...

Silly me, thinking this would be normal.

But even a polite autoresponse doesn't make it a good idea. Alan says he whitelists the people to whom he writes, but I doubt that any others do.

Yeah, like I said I didn't think it made a lot of sense. I understand it, what with the frustration of the spam load, but it doesn't really work, in practice. For example, someone recently dropped me an email about a mutual friend who was in town. I replied within 5 minutes saying "Doofus, you forgot to tell me WHERE SHE'S STAYING."

A week later I got a reply saying "OH, sorry."

Not everyone has an email umbilicus. Something that still surprises me every now and then.

Also, most of the spam I get anymore claims to be from em or people I know. It would slip right through the PYLM filter anyway, right? Or are they smarter than that?

--
You are responsible for your Rose  ||  Rule #5 Get Kirsten Dunst Wet
Heisenberg's only uncertainty was what pub to vomit in next and Jung fancied Freud's mother too. - Jared Earle