Re: Spamming list members

2002-09-11 21:53:46
At 09:40 PM 9/11/2002, Alan Clifford wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Chris Green wrote:

CG> No, you hear the sound of someone who won't bother to send you mail as
CG> it isn't worth the extra effort of jumping through the hoops you're
CG> putting in the way.  Similarly I won't bother mailing people on
CG> Usenet who expect me to remove some part of their 'reply' E-Mail
CG> address before it will work.

This is an interesting reaction to the autoresponder and, I hope, a
general one.

It's been mine.  (Though I *am* willing to "fix" a Usenet posted
address, since I appreciate the address-harvesting problem.)

The one exception:  a couple of years ago, I spent some time
composing a letter with recipes to answer a question somebody
asked on this very list.  Her autoresponder practically accused
the sender (me) of being a spammer.  So I jumped the hoop to send
her a note objecting to being asked for help and then being accused
of being a spammer, and she was as obnoxious in her reply as she
had been in her autoresponder's text, so I didn't send the help.

If I did feel the need to email, say, you, your email address would be put
into the whitelist as the message went out.

Good plan.  I also suggest that if you ever ask a question on Usenet
or a mailing list, you whitelist the *subject* (for a while), which
would have gotten my answer past the above-mentioned responder.

Cheers,
Stan