Re: procmail has no solution

2002-09-22 14:44:17
Hi

I disagree that it's impossible if you don't attempt to build something too complicated - look at what's irritating your users and seek to kill that first.

I'm completing a GUI for my sub-host users (who cannot be allowed server access) They login (to identify which directory to use) then input to a form the specific phrases they want to exclude e.g. "adult website", "low-cost mortgages". Perl inserts the *(^|[^0-9a-z])$item([^0-9a-z]|\$) etc. before writing to the user's own procmailrc. It's running fine under test and am adding online recovery from a 30-day archive, so there's minimal intervention needed.

Incidentally, a local big ISP here is now using spam assassin (or similar) and charging nearly $25 including taxes A MONTH for uncontrolled filtering with no provision for recovery. That's a nice little revenue stream - depending upon how many mailboxes you host - for some programming which needs no maintenance, if you set it up right.

Andy Mac

At 04:43 PM 22/09/02 -0400, you wrote:

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 04:03:29PM +0500, zafar wrote:

> how can i apply recipe throug php and how everyuser can
> access and update or write in the recipie.
> i get  no idea from anywhere .

Questions like this have been asked a number of times, and the answer
I've seen a few times (and come up with myself when I looked at doing
it) was that writing a GUI (whether PHP or Perl CGI or whatever) to
allow configuration of all the possible subtleties of a procmail recipe
was durn near impossible.

The easiest way to give your users the ability to control their own
.procmailrc is to point them at the procmail man pages, and give them
FTP access to their home directory.

> plz give me some idea about that thing i am really worried
> plz help me.

If you are really worried about the lack of a GUI, then by all means
write one.  And if you don't want to write one, and you can't find
something appropriate in the plethora of PHP script libraries out there,
I'm sure you'll have little difficulty finding a freelance programmer
who will be willing to quote on some custom development for you.

  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever                          +1 416 598-0000
  it.canada - hosting and development                  http://www.it.ca/

FOCUS Internet Services
Web Design, Hosting, Internet Custom Applications
reg office : 62 rue de Mersch
L-8181 KOPSTAL
Luxembourg
tel. (+352) 305 197