Re: sendmail, procmail & dmail - mbx

2002-09-26 08:42:00
Jinn Koriech asked,

| the problem is that dmail refuses to be invoked as user root or daemon.
| it must be running as the recipient of the message.

| here's the configuration on a RedHat 7.3 box with all RedHat updates
| applied.

| /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
| FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
|
| /etc/procmailrc
| :0
|         * ^TOjon
|         | /usr/sbin/dmail +jon

Oy.  "^TO" is about the worst way -- and "^TO_" the second worst -- to figure
out whom the message is for.

Dallman's answer to set DROPPRIVS should do the job, but use $LOGNAME to
figure out the recipient:

 DROPPRIVS=yes

 :0
 | /usr/sbin/dmail +$LOGNAME

Now, I don't know what dmail does, so maybe that should be a filtering recipe
instead, so that the output of dmail comes back to procmail?  Otherwise, it
seems you might as well use dmail without procmail as the LDA in the first
place.