Re: sendmail, procmail & dmail - mbx

2002-09-26 09:07:56
On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 16:31, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Jinn Koriech asked,
Oy.  "^TO" is about the worst way -- and "^TO_" the second worst -- to figure
out whom the message is for.

Dallman's answer to set DROPPRIVS should do the job, but use $LOGNAME to
figure out the recipient:

 DROPPRIVS=yes

The DROPPRIVS=y definitely solved the problem - thanks loads!!

 :0
 | /usr/sbin/dmail +$LOGNAME

I guess that your suggestion here will filter anyones mail into their
respective mailbox?  That's more appropriate for my needs that what I
had before.  Thanks again.

FYI:
I've also since my original post worked out that the args to dmail
depend on how you have compiled IMAPd and dmail.  In this particular
example I am using +INBOX to get the desired result with IMAPd - thus
bypassing /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME.  dmail puts the messages directly
into the file that IMAPd expects, which is determined by compile-time
arguments.  I guess if I had IMAPd/dmail storing mail somewhere other
than a folder in the users home then your suggestion for +$LOGNAME would
be exactly what's needed.

Now, I don't know what dmail does, so maybe that should be a filtering recipe
instead, so that the output of dmail comes back to procmail?  Otherwise, it
seems you might as well use dmail without procmail as the LDA in the first
place.

dmail is not intended as a replacement to procmail, but to be used as
outlined in this example.  neither do i wish to stop using procmail as i
do make use of the filtering facilities.  tmail is the intended drop=in
replacement - but i have not tried to use it as I like procmail.