Re: Procmail/SpamAssassin Configuration

2002-10-15 12:11:54
On Monday, Oct 14, 2002, at 02:16 Canada/Mountain, Nancy McGough wrote:
On 14 Oct 2002 PUTH CHAN CHOTH (choth(_at_)of(_dot_)forum(_dot_)org(_dot_)kh)
wrote:

How can I know the Spamassassin is up and running and do what I want to protect
against spam? Thank you so much for your assistance.

You could temporarily set

 required_hits -99.00

in your SA user_prefs file. This way pretty much everything will
be SA tagged so you can be sure that SA is working. After you
test that, set it back to whatever you want required_hits to be
and then use pine to bounce (B) a spam message to that system and
see if it is handled the way you expect. Note that the process of
bouncing (redirecting) a spam message will probaly lower its spam
score because SA will see that it was routed by someone (you)
who's not a known bad guy.

the SA install includes a sample spam file and directions on hwo to send it into your mailstream. That's the best way to be sure SA is working.

more README in the Spamassasin source yeilds:

      spamassassin -t < sample-nonspam.txt > nonspam.out
      spamassassin -t < sample-spam.txt > spam.out

and

 - Send yourself sample-spam.txt and make sure it gets tagged:

      /usr/sbin/sendmail yourusername < sample-spam.txt

--
Sometimes I simply feel that the whole world is a cigarette and I'm the only ashtray.