Re: Put line in log

2002-10-16 12:03:43
At 13:16 2002-10-16 -0400, James Ervin wrote:
I have a procmail isse that I am debuging and would like to put a line in the log at a certain point. Is that possible?

        LOG="Some text
"

The manual newline is necessary unless you want whatever is emitted after that to appear at the end of the same line. Those of us who use such logging frequently (say, to emit "reasons" for how a filter acted), define a newline variable:

NL="
"

Then use that:

        LOG="Some text$NL"

Is there something like "write to log". I know I can setup a rule that catches all then do something like LOG="This is waht I want to say, with a $MATCH perhaps" sort of thing, but I was hopping there was a direct log writing tool.

You can write to the log outside of a rule. Perhaps you should *TRY* it? Set up a sandbox testing environ so you can easily try "what if" scenarios.