Re: man pages missing something

2002-10-31 03:09:42
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:05:05PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

I checked man procmailrc and man procmailex and there is nothing
that mentions "FROM_"

In man procmailex there is a paragraph about "incorrect leading `From '
lines". These `From ' lines are what From_ talks about.

and yet I see it used frequently.

Writing "From_" one wants to distinguish the normal "From: " header and
the address provided as sender during the smtp dialog (the so called
envelope-from). The normal from address should be used for (human)
answers (regarding the contents of a mail), the envelope from for
"technical", automatic reactions by the MTA, e.g. for bounces. The
envelope-from appears often as first line of a mail in a mailbox in the
form "From localpart(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld  date". To distinguish both types
better
one often writes "From_" to underline the lacking ":".

Maybe someone has written a macro named "FROM_" to extract an envelope-
from. But I do not see any need for that; by "* ^From +\/[^ ]+ " (the
space after the last + is important) one can easily extract the From_
address and put it into MATCH.

Bye,
Hatto