Re: man pages missing something

2002-10-31 07:05:37
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:20:12AM +0100, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:
Hatto von Hatzfeld skribis:

by "* ^From +\/[^ ]+ " (the
space after the last + is important) one can easily extract the From_
address and put it into MATCH.

1. Why would you want the MATCH to end in a space?
   (AFAIK, \/ is greedy-to-the-right)

I thought that I once got an error because it did not match everything I
wanted to get. But maybe my memory failed here :-)

2. Using ^^From in stead of ^From is more accurate here.

Thanks; that's really a good suggestion.

3. E-mail-addresses are allowed to have embedded whitespace.

AFAIK, sendmail deletes all whitespace (as well as comments and real
names) in the From_ address. A small test I have made a few minutes ago
showed this result, too. To be a bit more exact: whitespace is used to
separate parameters after "MAIL FROM: " in the SMTP dialog. Only within
comments (i.e. brackets "(  )") may be some space within the mailbox
name, but these comments do not appear in the From_ line.

Of course, in theory other things could happen. But in practice I can
not find a problem.

Bye,
Hatto