Re: Chain mails from authorized users

2002-11-13 11:13:59
On 13 Nov, Prasenjit Medhi wrote:
| Greets,
|
| I am running into a problem with one of the pop3 users
| of my linux system sending huge files to multiple
| users.
|
| I am using sendmail currently, and procmail is on the
| system.
|
| 1.Is there any way through procmail that i can limit
| the size of the attachments.
|
| 2.And is there anyway I can use procmail to limit the
| number of external users that the abusive internal
| user has in his cc and bcc portion of the header?
|
| Basically, Ive got a user who is effectively sending
| spam, sending out _huge_ postcards to his clients. He
| has promised me he wont repeat that experiment. But he
| might break that promise, and there might be another
| user who does the same ..

1. If it's truly spam, as opposed to an over-exuberant neophyte in need
of an attitude adjustment, close the account.

2. If the latter, close the account if he does it again.

3. Procmail processes incoming not outgoing mail. (There are periodic
discussions of ways to filter outgoing mail with procmail, but it's not
"normal".)

4. As far as limiting size of messages see confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE in the
sendmail documentation.  I don't know if it works on outgoing messages,
but it's a start.

I don't know if sendmail can be configured to reject too many
recipients, but that would be a sendmail question not a procmail one.

You CAN do both of these things [1] on incoming messages with procmail,
but that only protects local users, and only after the resources have
already been used to send/receive the message, and doesn't seem to be
what you're asking. See the ">" and "<" special conditions for checking
message size in the procmailrc man page. Methods of counting recipients
is a fairly regular question that's been discussed here within the last
couple months.  The searchable archives will have it if you're
interested:

[1] Limiting the size of attachments is probably not possible, at least
not easily.  Procmail's "<" and ">" conditions and sendmail's
confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE work against the size of the entire message.

--
Reply to list please, or append "8" to "procmail" in address if you must.
Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.