Re: Auto Mailing Lists

2002-11-16 13:38:58
On 14 Nov, Warrick FitzGerald wrote:
| > >   MailingLists/$MATCH
| > >

| > Thanks very much, that worked like a charm.
| >

| Ok so I lied, I'm not 100% happy yet :) -- But I'm not 100% sure if this is
| a procmail question or not.
|
| So now that I have each mailing list being delivered into a seperate folder,
| I would love for my users to be able to reply with the same address that the
| email was sent to.
|
| For example usera subscribed to the procmail list using the address
| lists(_dot_)procmail(_dot_)usera(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com , however the
problem is that usera is
| using $MS outlook and now wants to reply to this email .... of course his
| mail client is set to use usera(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com and when he respondes
the lists
| bounces his messages as it does not know that usera(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
is the same
| as  lists(_dot_)procmail(_dot_)usera(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com(_dot_)
|
| How can I re-write usera(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com to
lists(_dot_)procmail(_dot_)usera(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
| ... is this a postfix or a procmail job ?

I'd say neither. Mapping multiple addresses to 1 user for incoming mail
is a standard MTA feature (aliases, and to a lesser extent facilities
like sendmail's virtusertable).  Mapping 1 user to multiple addresses
for outgoing messages doesn't seem so trivial. How would the software
know which of the multiple addresses to use?

If you could somehow get procmail between your user's MUA and MTA for
outgoing mail, it might be able to do it based on username and
destination.  But unless you have few users and standardize the
composition of these addresses (and get total compliance  -- good
luck!), you've got a rat's nest keeping track of all the different
address and lists for each user. They'd have to notify you of every
change, and recipes would have to be changed accordingly.  Even if that
can be surmounted, where do you get the destination address from? To:?
Cc:? What if they use Bcc:?  You're sunk unless the SMTP RCPT TO: is
available to whatever software you try and do this with.

It sounds more like the job of the individual users and their MUA. Since
I know nothing about Outlook, you're on your own there. It will require
either

1. The MUA has some facility for roles. Two that I know of are Pine and
TkRat. There are probably others. I use TkRat, but not a version that's
new enough to support roles.  I've never used Pine.  So I can't say for
sure if roles is what you want. I'd guess they're intended for users who
collect mail from multiple accounts, to route messages to the correct
server with the appropriate identity.  They might also be intended for
users with virtual domains on the same server. It might be something
that could be made to work, but probably still requires that users
rememeber to select the right role, so it's probably no better than...

2. Users edit the From: header before they send.  I use aliases for
everything, and that's how I handle it.  It's not so bad.

I also wanted to say that what you're doing seems pretty similar to plus
addressing (e.g. user+procmail(_at_)domain which gets routed to user by the
MTA). It might be something you'd like to look at, although it doesn't
get you any closer to solving this problem.

BTW, thanks for setting the line wrap. :-)

--
Reply to list please, or append "8" to "procmail" in address if you must.
Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.