Re: unsubscribe instructions

2002-11-19 23:23:03
The ONLY unsubscribe Instructions can be read here

http://www.crackmonkey.org/faq.html#ANSWER3

On 2002.11.19 22:04 ProcMailER wrote:
* David W. Tamkin <dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> [11-19-02 14:53]:
Tom wrote,

| Perhaps it's time for that information to be included in the body of the
list's
| e-mails... even THIS list's e-mails.

Charlie's right: that wouldn't help.  Many lists put unsub instructions into
the bodies of posts, and it doesn't help.  One's mail client's reply command
is supposed to direct the message magically to its proper destination.

The only cure I see might be worse than the disease: send posts and digests
out with Reply-To: pointing to the unsubscribe address.  Of course, unsubs
would need confirmation, and the confirmation instructions would give the
right address for posting.  Those who had wanted to post would never re-send
to the posting address, and those who had wanted to unsub would never
confirm,
but at least it would be a nice, quiet list that didn't waste a lot of disk
space, and you'd never see a "me too" nor an "out of the office" nor a
misdirected bounce on the list -- maybe at your own address, but not on the
list.

NO, the proper handling of these requests would be for everyone who
receives the misguided missel to reply directly to the sender (not the
list) with the proper information.

I mean, after all it's what he requested.
--
Patrick Shanahan
Registered Linux User #207535

Brooklyn Linux Solutions