revenge of the annoyed list members

2002-11-20 10:41:20
Patrick Shanahan said that anyone posting an unsub command to a list should be
bombarded with copies of the unsub instructions from every list member who
gets a copy, because ...

| > | I mean, after all it's what he requested.

Note that the verb is "requested."  I disagreed with Patrick, but Charlie
Summers replied,

|    Actually, I'm with Shanahan - anyone foolish enough to post an
| unsubscribe or test message to a mailing list is asking for _exactly_ that;
| a full mailbox containing complaints from every other subscriber on the
list.

Note that the verb is "is asking for."  There's a colloquial use of "to ask
for" that doesn't carry over to "to request."  Someone who is asking for a
punishment almost never is requesting it.  With that interpretation of "is
asking for," I can't disagree with Charlie.

Public sidebar to Tony Svanstrom: this thread isn't about solutions, it's
about retaliation.  You want a solution?  Automatically unsub everybody once a
week.  Anyone who really wants to be on the list will resub, and anyone who
tries a wrong way to unsub will be off the list within a week.  If you're very
kind-hearted, grant exemption from the weekly purges to anyone who illustrates
the proper unsub procedure (in private email to you as list manager: not on
the list).