Re: parsing email addresses

2002-11-22 09:30:03
On 22 Nov 2002 Tyler F. Creelan (creelan(_at_)engr(_dot_)orst(_dot_)edu) wrote:

Why should it check for the list address in the To: or Cc: field?
The message got to the list software, so the envelope included the list's
address, why does it matter what the user put in the header?

Kudos to that. People can put "j00r momma" in those headers for all I
care. I just filter on ^Sender, or whatever else the list software uses,

I discuss lots of different headers that are used by various
mailing-list-management programs in my Procmail Quick Start, in
this section:

 Alternatives to the ^TO_ Expression
 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#alt2TO>

This section also includes info about

 "Some people prefer to use the ^TO_ expression to catch
  mailing-list messages because..."

Btw, here is the recipe I finally decided on for discarding replies sent
to me and the list:

# weed out list message replies sent directly to me
:0:
* ^To: .*creelan
* ^(Sender|X-Loop|List-Id|X-Sender|X-BeenThere)
* ^Subject: RE
* ! ^FROM_DAEMON
$DELETE

If you're having a private email conversation with someone who
uses Pine, this recipe might throw out their messages because
Pine sometimes includes and Sender or X-Sender header, depending
on what "role" they are using and how this Pine feature is set

 [X]  use-sender-not-x-sender

But maybe you use other recipes to make sure that personal
correspondents (aka greenlisted addresses) are dealt with before
this recipe?

 -Nancy

--
       PROCMAIL  <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>