Re: outbound email

2002-11-25 17:21:57
Tony suggested to Tom,

|  The way I'm doing it is that I let Pine hand the e-mail directly to
Procmail,
| which then hands it to Sendmail.

Several MUAs allow that, including mutt and mailx as well as Pine.  The
trouble is getting users to use an MUA that allows it and to configure it (or
leave it configured if you've set it so by default) that way.

Most important thing: use procmail's -m option.

|  The most basic version of such a file is this:
|
| SHELL=/bin/sh
| :0w
|         | asdf/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -oem -t
| EXITCODE=$?

The most basic, and more versatile, is more like this:

 #!/path/to/procmail -m

 :0
 ! "$@"

Whether the MUA passes recipient addresses as positional parameters or as
header lines (and thus -t as a positional parameter), you're covered.  That
recipe is how an rcfile for outgoing mail should end, even if you've done
other things above that point.