Re: outbound email

2002-11-25 08:27:35
R P Herrold wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Tom Allison wrote:

Can someone please explain how to use procmail to filter outbound email? I've heard about this [rumour] a few times and would like to at least dispell with the mythology and see what can be done with this for real.

In a customary configuration it cannot -- procmail is part of the mail _Delivery_ agent side, although it is possible to torture the outbound MTA into running offerings through a procmail handler.

The sendmail 'milter' hooks, or an inward pointing
'messagewall' are more direct ways to that end.

-- Russ Herrold

postfix has a nice write-up on Filters in their installed documents. You can either to a pipe style of "torture" by piping everything through a STDIN -> STDOUT like you would with procmail
or
You can set up a high port smtp listener to do all the message transfer through SMTP protocols to another daemon, who then passes the results back.

I am mainly looking at this as a means to gauranteed receipt from anyone who I have started contact with (In know, In-Reply-To). It also builds up a whitelist for future communications (not In-Reply-To) to minimize the postential delays in filtering and queueing up emails for confirmation requests.

I'm trying to put together some variant to tmda-filter using perl and I got this far.... http://www.tacocat.net/howto_spam.html

I'm going to guess that you would have a lot of interesting things to say about what I'm trying to do here. I know it's not "perfect" but it's a start...

--
<Mercury> Be warned, I have a keyboard I can use to beat luser's heads
          in, and then continue to use... (=3D:]