Re: attachment extention filter

2002-12-03 07:51:55
1) Either you are not actually interested in filtering attachments, or you
are slightly confused about the definition of attachments.

I must have not made it clear I'd like to filter the mail containing
attachments.  I know exactly where I'd like to go.

2) What you're proposing isn't going to filter the "attachments", it is
going to filter the mails containing the attachments.

Exactly.

So breaking down cases, sir, we have the case of an inline which MUST HAVE
a filename. Interesting. Not impossible, but interesting.

I'm not actually blocking .tar.gz's, but I'd like to block files with
double extensions of .pif, .com, etc...

Files don't have double extensions, technically speaking, do they?
Technically, file extensions are a Windows brand cockup, aren't they?

I realize that.  I took OS in college.  However, keep in mind that most of
the stuff I'd like to block is intended for windows boxes...

I feel like I'm missing some attachments - are

Rigor, man! Rigor! Reducing what you've got above, yes, you are correct,
you are asserting A *and* B.

enough, or can attachments slide past in additional ways?

Well IMO multipart alone is probably enough of a clue. Then instead of
Content-Disposition, you would probably be more profited by examining
Content-Type of the parts. You examined it for the header, now do it for
the parts.

Will do.

Would it be
worth the pain of chewing through an RFC for this?

Buhahaha! *ONE*? Buhehehe!

  http://www.inwa.net/~m3047/procmail/rfc-tree.pdf

Try the MIME track. Also read 2557. Love the fact that Microsoft helped
write it. 1844 is dated, but might be illuminating; plus it (still)
provides a good starting point for a multimedia-aware UA checklist.

Any suggestions are appreaciated in advance.

Reading RFCs is always profitable, both for the rigor displayed, as well as
for the refreshing lack of so-called "professionalism".

Whether you'll find what you're looking for is another matter entirely.

We'll see how ambitious I get with this.  Thanks for the link & info.

--
Mark T. Valites