Re: attachment extention filter

2002-12-03 20:35:26
Part of the problem you encounter in the real world is UAs which try to be
helpful by interpreting "where you want to go". Otherwise it wouldn't be
possible, say, for an alleged multimedia presentation e-mail containing a
purported "wave" sound attachement to launch as an .exe simply because it
ends with .exe.

Really you should read 2557. File a class action lawsuit, will ya?

HTML is not good. Did you think about JavaScript? You should. VBScripting?
Awwyep.

Basically, anything besides plaintext is suspect... but... we deal with
that. I'm more worried about stuff which doesn't volunteer to be handled as
attachments, than what does.

Sooth Mark T. Valites:
[quoth the Raven..]:
:0
* [ ]*(Content|(file)?name=).*\.(scr|exe|p(if|as)|v(bs|xd)|ba[kt]|\
  wab|cp(p|l)|asp|xls|mpe?g|reg|ini|d(iz|ll)|sys)
{ do stuff }

I think this may be a little too aggressive - It looks like amazon, ebay &
classmates.com all like to send multipart messages with html embedded in
them.

A line like:

action="http://www.classmates.com/go/e/365018

matches the /name.*\.com/ in the regex above

I'm thinking it's a good idea to include the (file) - are there any cases
where making it optional has been beneficial?

Still no problem statement. More minutae. My kinda peeps, Amazon,
classmates... how about ArtistDirect, one of my faves!

Still got that feeling of icewater in your veins? Hey! Wow! Hit your thumb
with a hammer, it doesn't hurt! By golly, that limb's still frozen! Feel
brave now, 'cause it'll hurt later.

1) Either you are not actually interested in filtering attachments, or you
are slightly confused about the definition of attachments.

I must have not made it clear I'd like to filter the mail containing
attachments.  I know exactly where I'd like to go.

Oh. Cool. So, don't even screw with anything but the Content-Disposition
header somewhere in the body of the mails. Sounds like you're the trusting
type, that oughta work fine! No problemo.

That'll cost ya a BOFH t-shirt from _The Reg_.

--

Fred Morris
m3047(_at_)inwa(_dot_)net