RE: More Bouncing off of Infinity

2003-01-13 12:50:50
There's been some really good stuff in this thread, but I just can't help
throwing in this remark ...

Nothing is actually "bouncing off" the supremum.  Procmail stops scoring
when the total score reaches supremum (or negative supremum), not when any
individual condition changes the score by +/- supremum.

The distinction is important because of what happens when choosing a value
for your so-called "oversaturated supremum".  E.g.:

SUPREMUM=2147483647
OVERSUPR=2147490000

:0
*       -3000^0
* $ $OVERSUPR^0
*           1^0 this is never tested, supremum was exceeded
{ }

:0
*       -4000^0
* $ $OVERSUPR^0
*           1^0 this IS tested, OVERSUPR is still not big enough
{ }

Probably you do understand that, but I wanted to make it clear to others.